This unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Crane Operators, Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction, Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane), Cribber/Material Handlers/Forklift/Warehouse . They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience in the occupation supervised is required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade may be required.
- There is some mobility between occupations classified in this unit group.