Boilermakers fabricate, assemble, erect, test, maintain and repair boilers, vessels, tanks, towers, heat exchangers and other heavy-metal structures. They are employed in boiler fabrication, manufacturing, shipbuilding, construction, electric power generation and similar industrial establishments.
Boilermakers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints or specifications to plan sequence of operation
- Lay out plate, sheet steel or other heavy metal and mark bending and cutting lines on work piece using protractors, compasses and drawing instruments or templates
- Set up and operate heavy-metal working machines such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters and drill presses to cut, shape and form metal into parts or sections
- Fit and weld metal parts or sections together to fabricate boilers, vessels, tanks, heat exchangers, piping and other heavy-metal products
- Erect and install boilers and other heavy-metal products according to specifications using hand and power tools
- Repair and perform maintenance work on boilers and other heavy-metal products
- Direct activities of hoist or crane operators and other workers during fabrication, assembly, installation or repair of structures
- Test finished structures using a variety of methods.
Boilermakers may specialize in rigging and hoisting, preparation and layout, or welding aspects of the trade.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or
- A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in boilermaking is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified boilermakers.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience
trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
February 2008 Trade Job Information on:
Machinist Jobs - Automotive machinist jobs and other machinist jobs in the Untied States. Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Pay ranges from $14 to $25/hour US. Search Machinist Jobs.
Construction Jobs - Many positions available across most industries. Please visit our Trade Job Search to narrow down construction job categories.
HVAC Jobs - Refrigeration Jobs and HVAC positions in the United States and Canada. Pay range from $12 - $20. See our HVAC Job Search for more information
Alberta Jobs - Alberta continues to be the spot to be for Trade Jobs in Canada. From Construction Jobs to Oil Jobs, Alberta Jobs are abundant and available.
Manufacturing Jobs - Metalworking Jobs, and Machinist Jobs are in demand. Positions are filling across the US and Canada.
Pipefitting Jobs - Steamfitter Jobs and other Pipe Fitting positions are popular now. Pay range from $16/hour and up.
Oil Jobs - More than ever before, Oil Jobs are in demand. From Florida Oil Jobs to Texas and California, apply for an Oil Job through Skilled Workers today.
More information on Boilermaker Jobs