Crane Operator Jobs
Crane operators operate cranes or draglines to lift, move, position or place machinery, equipment and other large objects at construction or industrial sites, ports, railway yards, surface mines and other similar locations. They are employed by construction, industrial, mining, cargo handling and railway companies.
Crane operators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate mobile and tower cranes to lift, move, position or place equipment and materials
- Perform pre-operational inspection, and calculate crane capacities and weight to prepare for rigging and hoisting
- Operate pile driving cranes to drive pilings into earth to provide support for buildings and other structures
- Operate cranes equipped with dredging attachments to dredge waterways and other areas
- Operate gantry cranes to load and unload ship cargo at port side
- Operate locomotive cranes to move objects and materials at railway yards
- Operate bridge or overhead cranes to lift, move and place plant machinery and materials
- Operate offshore oil rig cranes to unload and reload supply vessels
- Operate cranes mounted on boats or barges to lift, move and place equipment and materials
- Operate dragline cranes to expose coal seams and ore deposits at open pit mines
- May assemble tower cranes on site
- Perform routine maintenance work such as cleaning and lubricating cranes.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- to three-year apprenticeship program or
- High school, college or industry courses in crane operating are usually required.
- Mobile crane operators may require a provincial licence to drive mobile cranes on public roads.
- Internal company certification as a crane operator may be required by some employers.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to mobile crane operators.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Red Seal trade certification for mobile crane operators allows for interprovincial mobility.
February 2008 Trade Job Information on:
Machinist Jobs - Automotive machinist jobs and other machinist jobs in the Untied States. Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Pay ranges from $14 to $25/hour US. Search Machinist Jobs.
Construction Jobs - Many positions available across most industries. Please visit our Trade Job Search to narrow down construction job categories.
HVAC Jobs - Refrigeration Jobs and HVAC positions in the United States and Canada. Pay range from $12 - $20. See our HVAC Job Search for more information
Alberta Jobs - Alberta continues to be the spot to be for Trade Jobs in Canada. From Construction Jobs to Oil Jobs, Alberta Jobs are abundant and available.
Manufacturing Jobs - Metalworking Jobs, and Machinist Jobs are in demand. Positions are filling across the US and Canada.
Pipefitting Jobs - Steamfitter Jobs and other Pipe Fitting positions are popular now. Pay range from $16/hour and up.
Oil Jobs - More than ever before, Oil Jobs are in demand. From Florida Oil Jobs to Texas and California, apply for an Oil Job through Skilled Workers today.
More information on Crane Operator Jobs