Floor Covering Installer Jobs | Floor Layer Jobs
Floor covering installers install carpet, wood, linoleum, vinyl and other resilient floor coverings in residential, commercial, industrial and institutional buildings. They are employed by construction companies, floor-covering contractors and carpet outlets, or they may be self-employed.
Floor covering installers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Inspect, measure and mark surfaces to be covered
- Measure, cut and fasten underlay and underpadding
- Measure, cut and install carpeting using hand or machine stitcher, seaming iron, bonding tape or other bonding materials
- Stretch carpeting using knee-kicker or power stretcher and secure carpeting to floor or other surfaces using staple gun or other devices
- Measure, cut and install resilient floor covering using adhesive, rollers and other hand tools
- Install hardwood floors, such as strip floors, block floors or plank floors using glue, staples, nails or other means
- Inspect and repair damaged floor coverings
- May estimate material and labour costs.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or
- Over three years of work experience in the trade is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified floor covering installers.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.