Ironworkers fabricate, erect, hoist, install, repair and service structural ironwork, precast concrete, concrete reinforcing materials, curtain walls, ornamental iron and other metals used in the construction of buildings, bridges, highways, dams and other structures and equipment. They are employed by construction ironwork contractors.
Ironworkers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging
- Signal crane operator to position steel units according to blueprints
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place
- Erect structural and architectural precast concrete components for buildings, bridges, towers and other structures
- Assemble and erect prefabricated metal structures
- Position and secure steel bars or metal mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures
- Install ornamental and other structural metalwork such as curtain walls, metal stairways, railings and power doors
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications
- Dismantle structures and equipment when required.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or
- Over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in ironworking are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified ironworkers.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
February 2008 Trade Job Information on:
Machinist Jobs - Automotive machinist jobs and other machinist jobs in the Untied States. Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Pay ranges from $14 to $25/hour US. Search Machinist Jobs.
Construction Jobs - Many positions available across most industries. Please visit our Trade Job Search to narrow down construction job categories.
HVAC Jobs - Refrigeration Jobs and HVAC positions in the United States and Canada. Pay range from $12 - $20. See our HVAC Job Search for more information
Alberta Jobs - Alberta continues to be the spot to be for Trade Jobs in Canada. From Construction Jobs to Oil Jobs, Alberta Jobs are abundant and available.
Manufacturing Jobs - Metalworking Jobs, and Machinist Jobs are in demand. Positions are filling across the US and Canada.
Pipefitting Jobs - Steamfitter Jobs and other Pipe Fitting positions are popular now. Pay range from $16/hour and up.
Oil Jobs - More than ever before, Oil Jobs are in demand. From Florida Oil Jobs to Texas and California, apply for an Oil Job through Skilled Workers today.
More information on Ironworkers Jobs