Mine Service Jobs
Underground mine service and support workers perform a range of duties related to the operation of orepasses, chutes and conveyor systems, the construction and support of underground structures, passages and roadways, and the supply of materials and supplies to support underground mining. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines.
Underground mine service and support workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate and maintain ore chutes or conveyor systems to control flow of ore or coal in underground mine
- Operate construction equipment such as bulldozer, grader or backhoe to build and maintain underground passages and haulageways
- Construct and repair wood or metal supports and structures such as bulkheads, platforms, drift doors and chutes using construction and mining tools
- Attach and extend ventilation and water pipes and related mine service
- Assist miners in setting up and operating various drills and other mining machinery
- Supply and maintain backfill distribution of sand, rock or other materials
- Operate diesel or electric track haulage equipment such as ore trains to distribute personnel and supplies and to convey ore from orepass to primary crusher or skip
- Maintain supply storage areas and maintain equipment and supplies such as explosives, drill bits, fire extinguishers, lamps and batteries
- Perform routine maintenance of machinery.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Previous formal training of up to six weeks followed by periods of on-the-job training as a helper or in support occupations is usually required.
- Previous experience as a mine labourer is usually required.
- May be certified in the basic common core program in Ontario.
- Company licensing or certification is often required for occupations in this unit group.
- Mobility is possible to other occupational groups in underground mining.
- There is mobility between employers within each of the three following sectors: underground coal mining, underground hard rock mining and underground potash, salt or soft rock mining.
- Mobility between these sectors is somewhat limited by differences in production technologies.
February 2008 Trade Job Information on:
Machinist Jobs - Automotive machinist jobs and other machinist jobs in the Untied States. Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Pay ranges from $14 to $25/hour US. Search Machinist Jobs.
Construction Jobs - Many positions available across most industries. Please visit our Trade Job Search to narrow down construction job categories.
HVAC Jobs - Refrigeration Jobs and HVAC positions in the United States and Canada. Pay range from $12 - $20. See our HVAC Job Search for more information
Alberta Jobs - Alberta continues to be the spot to be for Trade Jobs in Canada. From Construction Jobs to Oil Jobs, Alberta Jobs are abundant and available.
Manufacturing Jobs - Metalworking Jobs, and Machinist Jobs are in demand. Positions are filling across the US and Canada.
Pipefitting Jobs - Steamfitter Jobs and other Pipe Fitting positions are popular now. Pay range from $16/hour and up.
Oil Jobs - More than ever before, Oil Jobs are in demand. From Florida Oil Jobs to Texas and California, apply for an Oil Job through Skilled Workers today.
More information on Mining Service Jobs