Tile Setter Jobs
Tilesetters cover interior and exterior walls, floors and ceilings with ceramic, marble and quarry tile, mosaics or terrazzo. They are employed by construction companies and masonry contractors, or they may be self-employed.
Tilesetters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare, measure and mark surface to be covered
- Build underbeds and install anchor bolts, wires and brackets
- Mix, apply and spread mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives using hand trowel
- Set tiles in position and apply pressure to affix tiles to base
- Align and straighten tile using levels, squares and straightedges
- Cut and fit tiles around obstacles and openings using hand and power cutting tools
- Pack grout into joints between tiles and remove excess grout
- Install tile strips
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs
- Mix, lay and polish terra surfaces
- Cut, polish and install marble and granite
- Remove and replace cracked or damaged tiles
- May prepare cost estimates and orders.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship program or
- A combination of over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in tilesetting is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.
- In provinces where there is no apprenticeship, this trade is usually learned through several years of on-the-job training.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
January 2008 Trade Job Information on:
Machinist Jobs - Automotive machinist jobs and other machinist jobs in the Untied States. Machinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Pay ranges from $14 to $25/hour US. Search Machinist Jobs.
Construction Jobs - Many positions available across most industries. Please visit our Trade Job Search to narrow down construction job categories.
HVAC Jobs - Refrigeration Jobs and HVAC positions in the United States and Canada. Pay range from $12 - $20. See our HVAC Job Search for more information
Alberta Jobs - Alberta continues to be the spot to be for Trade Jobs in Canada. From Construction Jobs to Oil Jobs, Alberta Jobs are abundant and available.
Manufacturing Jobs - Metalworking Jobs, and Machinist Jobs are in demand. Positions are filling across the US and Canada.
Pipefitting Jobs - Steamfitter Jobs and other Pipe Fitting positions are popular now. Pay range from $16/hour and up.
Oil Jobs - More than ever before, Oil Jobs are in demand. From Florida Oil Jobs to Texas and California, apply for an Oil Job through Skilled Workers today.